Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Storytelling Week 9: The Shift of Power

Duryodhana, the Prince of Hastinapura, had finally completed building the new palace he had been working so diligently on for the last couple of years. He felt it was one of his greatest contributions to Hastinapura, the great city he loved so much. He also believed that his palace was so great that it needed to be the host of a great event, one of high importance. If the first event was of great importance it would symbolize how great the palace was meant to be and set the tone for future events at the palace. From then on, people would know that only events of great importance were being hosted at the palace. 

Shakuni, Duryodhana's uncle, came to Duryodhana with a brilliant proposal. He felt he had the perfect event to inaugurate the new palace. Shakuni wanted to hold a game of dice between himself and the Pandavas, rivals to Shakuni and Duryodhana. The game would actually end up putting Shakuni, a great dice player, against Yudhisthira, head of the Pandavas and a not so great dice player. This put the odds in great favor of Shakuni. The game would have great stakes as well, Shakuni and Duryodhana planned to take full advantage of Shakuni's advantage and try to take as much as possible from the Pandavas.

Shakuni, Yudhisthira, and Duryodhana agreed to come together in Hastinapura beneath the roof of the great palace. Yudhisthira was forced to accept the challenge because of Dharma. He was not allowed to stand down from such a request. They began to play dice and it was very clear from the beginning that Shakuni was going to dominate the contest. The more they played, the more that Yudhisthira wagered and lost. Yudhisthira still continued to wage everything that he had including himself, his brothers, and Draupadi the wife of the Pandavas. He continued to lose but was to stubborn to acknowledge he was going to lose no matter what. 

Eventually, Shakuni brought the game of dice to an end. Yudhisthira knew that his opponents would not hold him to all of his wagers, as it was just a game of dice that got carried away. However, that was not the case. Shakuni and Duryodhana had great plans for all the people they now had possession of due to the game.

Shakuni's first plan of action was to take all of the Pandavas and make them personal assistants to himself and Duryodhana. The Pandavas would be required to do anything they asked of them. These chores would not all be demeaning or negative, but more meaningless tasks that they would have to perform solely out of spite from their new “owners.” 

They decided that it was time for Shakuni to get married as well and they felt as if Draupadi would make a great wife for him. She was therefore forced to marry him and only to be with him from that point forward. As for Yudhisthira, they did not know what to do with him. They then went on to put him into isolation. The reason they came to this decision was they felt it was the only way to get rid go him and not kill him. Had they killed him they were scared karma would be against them. 

They felt now that they had control of the entire kingdom and no one would be able to challenge them from the outside. Fortunately, that was not true. They did not pay close enough attention to the remaining Pandavas, which allowed them to communicate with Yudhisthira without being monitored or caught on to. Although he was still technically in "isolation", they had been able to establish a line of contact. 

Within two years, the Pandavas overthrew Shakuni and Duryodhana after eighteen months of a long revolutionary war. Pandavas took control of the entire kingdom and forced Shakuni and Duryodhana to watch as they destroyed the great palace that hosted the game of dice. The Pandavas then, instead of risking keeping them alive, killed the two and buried them beneath the palace.

The Pandavas would go on to be the wealthy elite of the city that would be ruled by King Yudhisthira and Queen Draupadi. The kingdom would last for many years and no one would dare to challenge the powers of the Pandavas.

Demolition of the Great Palace 
Source: Wikipedia


Author's Note: My inspiration for this story was obviously the story of the game of dice within part B of our reading this week. I really liked the way the story was written originally, which is why I chose to stick to the script for the majority of the beginning of the story. However, after the game of dice I could not decide what to do. I decided to go with the enslavement of the pandavas being used a symbol status because I felt it was better then banning all of the characters from the kingdom and having them out of existence. I felt it was a good idea to somehow incorporate the idea of revolution, which this allowed me to do. The reason I wanted to create the story of revolution was mainly because a lot of my early stories all followed kind of the same plot where the evil prevailed. All stories where the good guy wins get old. However, I wanted to write this one where the good prevailed so that it would change up the tone of my stories. Another reason for me to do this is that personally, only through the beginning of the novel I have grown to dislike the characters that appear to be on the evil side or the opposition if that is a better description.

Bibliography:
  • Narayan, R. K. (1978). The Mahabharata: A Shortened Modern Prose Version of the Indian Epic.



8 comments:

  1. Hey Bill, I really liked your story. I was going to write about this for my story but I decided to write about Ganga since it was such an outrageous story. But, for your story I really enjoyed how you incorporated revolution into the story. I also really liked your picture I think it did a great job depicting your story. Overall, I think you did a great job it flowed well and it kept my interest. Good job I look forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Bill!

    I really enjoyed your story! I had a tough time this past week writing a story. I wish I had done something similar to yours! I like how you incorporated the idea of revolution in your story. When I read this story in the book, I was wondering how in the world they could just sit around and wait. Everything worked really well in your story! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bill!
    Good story! This was one of the most frustrating stories that we have read so far, in my opinion. I was really angry with most of the characters involved in it when we read it for class. I really liked what you did with the story. Great creativity on the ending, especially!
    Below are some possible corrections for you to consider:
    From the third paragraph: “He continued to lose but was to stubborn to acknowledge he was going to lose no matter what.” In this sentence you wrote “but was to stubborn to acknowledge”. The first “to” is the wrong form. You would want to say “but was too stubborn to acknowledge”.
    Paragraph five: “These chores would not all demeaning or negative, but more meaningless tasks that they would have to perform solely out of spite from their new “owners”.” It seems like you are missing a word in this sentence at the beginning. It also seems like you could reword the end of the sentence to make the meaning more clear. I suggest this: “These chores would not all be demeaning or negative, but rather they would be meaningless tasks that the Pandavas would have to perform solely due to the spite of their new “owners”.” I took out several of the original words and replaced them with the bolded and italicized words. I think this new version makes your meaning much clearer to your audience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't forget to put Storytelling Week 9 in your title please, it was a little confusing trying to find this this week. I felt that a little bit of background on the characters would have been nice in case the people doing the blog commenting hadn't gotten around to reading all of the reading for the week so a little more introduction would have been nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Bill! First off, make sure you put week 9 storytelling in your title! I enjoyed reading this story, but it didn't flow as well as it could have. I think there was a bit of issue with commas and run on sentences, but overall the content of your story is great. Incorporating the idea of revolution is great, and this section of the Mahabharata was a great piece to write about! This was one of the most frustrating parts for me to read because of how aimlessly Yudhisthira was wagering everything he owned. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, Bill. Cool portfolio you have so far! Great creativity on this story. I like the way you portrayed all of the characters and the way you ended the story. I like the picture of the palace that you have used and your writing overall was good. Your story kept my interest. I can’t imagine how Draupadi must have felt being forced to marry Shakuni, let alone forced to marry anyone at all. I wrote this week’s storytelling on the Pandavas, and I must say they seem like a bad-A group of brothers! I think there could have been a little bit more detail in the part where they destroy the palace and play the game of dice. Those parts of the book were very interesting for me to read. It’s nice to see that the Pandavas end up being the wealthy elite of the city and that the kingdom last for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bill,

    I loved how you started off the story with the description of the setting, the grand palace that is too precious to Duryodhana and his uncle. You then had a smooth transition into the introduction of the dice game, saying only important events took place at the palace. The story was very well structured. The palace that I thought was only there as an introduction of the setting, had significance in the story - it resembled property. Like, Shakuni and his nephew being buried under it.

    I only noticed one grammatical error.

    These chores would not all demeaning or negative ( it looks like you're missing a word).

    Overall, this was a great read, very well structured. I liked how the story ended on a good note. Great job, Bill!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Bill!
    I am reading your portfolio for our project commenting assignment this week. I have previously read your first story, so I am starting with your second! I really enjoyed reading this story and I think that you did a great job with it! I think that you did a really good job of making this story your own and not sticking to the original story. I really like that you changed the story so that the end would be better. I always like the stories where the good prevails over the bad. I honestly can not think of any critiques for your story. The spacing is good. It makes it easier to read. Your story is very well written. I think that the image you chose is a good one because it goes along with the story. Also, you did a great job in your author's note explaining the changes that you made. Good job!

    ReplyDelete