Monday, March 2, 2015

Reading Review Week

This week i have read over all of my reading diary from the past weeks of this semester. While reading, I noticed that a few things stuck out. The main thing however, that stuck out to me, was the focus I put on Rama, Ravana, and Sita throughout my diary and storytelling posts. Obviously, these are the main characters of the story and deserve lots of attention. I think what stuck out about it though was the amount of attention I have not placed on minor characters throughout the past weeks. I briefly touched on Hanuman, Lakshmana, and Bharata in stories and in diary posts, but besides that I have put no focus on them. When reading through classmates work I noticed that this was very true for most of my classmates, not all, but most. The ones that did not struggle with this problem seemed to be using a deeper analysis of the story than most. This made me think that maybe I have not been using a deep enough analysis of each section we are assigned. However, I did state that I wanted to focus on Rama and Ravana early on, so maybe all of the major characters are just that much more appealing to the reader in this case. This all did strike me while reading my reviews so I am interested to see if i can do a better job bringing some attention into the roles of minor characters. The only thing I seem to be struggling with is how to not sacrifice my focus into main character development while bringing attention to the minor character development. Either way, I am excited for the second half of this semester and cannot wait to see what else unfolds as we venture into new readings.

Hanuman and Lakshmana before Sita and Rama
Source: Wikipedia

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that was a great connection that you used when reading the Reading Diaries of others. I can see how that would be true though, that those who focused more on the minor characters and the minor stories would find a deeper analysis style. Maybe I will work on that myself when we begin reading the next book. It may be hard to really connect with them, but it would be nice to have a stronger analysis.

    ReplyDelete